St. Matthew's Church
4th & Monument Ave., National Park 08063
St. Patrick's Church
St. Patrick's, a mission of St. Mary's, Gloucester, from 1859, became a parish in 1877 with Father M.A. McManus as first pastor. The first record of services in Woodbury is of a baptism administered in 1793. The first church was built on Salem Avenue in 1865 and enlarged in 1877.
When St. Patrick's was established as a parish, it included missions at Glassboro and Snow Hill(Lawnside). Records indicate baptisms and marriages of people from as far distant as Indian Mills.
The first rectory was completed in 1879. The cornerstone of the new and present church was laid in 1909; the building was enlarged in 1923. The interior of the church was completed during the parish's Golden Jubilee. In 1944, the Green Estate was purchased for a school and convent and the school opened in 1944, staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Newburgh, N.Y. The Franciscan Sisters of the Infant Jesus followed in 1973 and left there in 1984.
Over the year the Woodbury parish also served missions in National Park, Westville and Blackwood Terrace. The pastor at the time of this article was Father J. Gerald Gallagher.
from: Building God's Kingdom: A History of the Diocese of Camden, edited by Rev. Msgr. charles J. Giglio, PH.D., 1987., p. 302.
September 2002, St. Patrick's Parish Woodbury celebrated its 125th Anniversary. It officially began in 1877 but there was a mission church in Woodbury prior to that date. Records show a priest baptizing a baby in Woodbury in 1794. The present church was erected in 1909. In recent years there has been a tremendous growth in Parish membership, to its present registration of over 2200 families, and the building of a parish hall.
from: A Glorious Past, A Brilliant Future: The History of the Diocese of Camden, by Monsignor Charles J. Giglio, PH.D., edited by Monsignor Louis A. Marucci, D.Min., p.135
Original Church 1865
St. Anne's Parish was founded in 1921 to meet the religious needs of the growing Catholic population in the Westville area.
81 Cooper Street NEW
Click Here For Directions and Maps
St. Patrick Church
86 Cooper St.
Woodbury, NJ 08096
St. Matthew Church
N 4th St & Monument Ave.
Holy Angels Worship Center
96 Green Ave.
Woodbury, NJ 08096
Holy Angels Catholic School
211 Cooper St. Woodbury, NJ 08096
Family Faith Formation
81 Cooper St Woodbury, NJ 08096 NEW
School Closing #2821 on KYWNewsRadio