St. Patrick's Church
86 Cooper Street, Woodbury 08096
Original Church 1865
St. Matthew's Church
St. Matthew's Parish, originally a mission of St. Patrick's in Woodbury, was incorporated September 18, 1915. Father Mathew Lavey of St. Lawrence, Laurel Springs, offered the first Mass in the Kelly home on Wesley Avenue. Father Michael Dolan of Woodbury was rector
Ground was purchased for the proposed new church and a tent set up where Mass was celebrated weekly by Father Lavey during the summer months. By the winter of 1917, Mass was being offered in a house on Simpson Avenue and in Jennison's Broom Factory. During the winter of 1919 Mass was offered in the National Park Hotel. A new church was constructed and dedicated by Bishop Walsh of Trenton in September 1920. St. Matthew was erected as a parish on January 26, 1942. At the time, it was a mission of Westville.
A school was opened in September 1955, staffed by the Little Servant Sisters of the Immaculate Conception, who took up residence at the time in the newly-constructed convent. New classrooms and an all-purpose hall were added in 1971-72. The church has been refurbished on a number of occasions.
The parish now comprises National Park, Verga, part of Thorofare and part of West Deptford Township.
The pastor at the time of this article was Fr. James P. Curran.
from: Building God's Kingdom: A History of the Diocese of Camden, edited by Rev. Msgr. charles J. Giglio, PH.D., 1987., p. 306
St. Anne's Parish was founded in 1921 to meet the religious needs of the growing Catholic population in the Westville area.
64 Cooper Street
Click Here For Directions and Maps
St. Patrick Church
86 Cooper St.
Woodbury, NJ 08096
St. Matthew Church
N 4th St & Monument Ave.
Holy Angels Worship Center
96 Green Ave.
Woodbury, NJ 08096
Holy Angels Catholic School
211 Cooper St. Woodbury, NJ 08096
Family Faith Formation
81 Cooper St Woodbury, NJ 08096, USA
School Closing #2821 on KYWNewsRadio